Qing Ming Festival 清明节
Qing Ming is a traditional festival for the Chinese to remember and honour their ancestors by visiting their columbarium, graves or burial grounds.
As Buddhists, we can spend Qing Ming Festival recollecting the kindness of our forefathers and honouring them by remembering how they had lived a worthy life. In addition, we can also emulate the qualities of the noble ones who have come before us by observing their teachings.
* 报名开始日期 Registration Commencement Date: 4 February 2024 onwards
清明超度法会 Qing Ming – The Dedication of Merits to The Departed Puja
日期 Date：4 April 2024 (Thursday)
地点 Venue: 无相殿 | Hall of No Form
超荐牌位登记类别 Registration Categories：
- 线上报名 Online Registration: https://enets.kmspks.org/new/qingming （可登记$50与$100的荐牌 | Registration is available for $50 and $100 tablets）
- 柜台报名 In-person registration: 寺务处 Front Office | 9am to 4pm （可登记$50、$100及$280的荐牌 | Registration is available for $50, $100 and $280 tablets）
询问 Enquiry：6849 5333
* Uncollected prayer offerings will be donated to charity homes after event.
- 大众可用鲜花，素食和水果祭拜。 寺内禁止酒精及肉类食品。
KMSPKS would like to remind visitors:
Before Your Visit
- Bring only Vegetarian food, fruits, flowers for offering. No alcohol, meat products are allowed at the monastery.
- Have a mindful and greener Qing Ming. Burning less joss paper and reducing food wastage. No joss paper boxes are allowed to be burnt during this period.
- Ensure your offerings are looked after. Unattended offerings will be removed.
- Watch over lit candles and incense so as to prevent fire hazards.
- Please clear your offerings after prayers. If you wish to donate fruits, please place them in the designated bins provided.
- Please remove all plastic materials before burning items at the Eco-burner.
祭祀完毕后该做怎么？ What to do after a prayer or performing a positive act?
It is said that when we engage in some form of spiritual practice, good deeds, we are accumulating merit. Buddhist practice conclude with dedicating the benefit of our wholesome act to relieving the suffering of sentient beings.
There are various phrases use for dedication, such as :
May the merits and virtues accrued from the work adorn the Buddha’s Pureland.
Repay the four kindness above and relieve the suffering of those in the Three Realms below.
May those who see and hear of this, bring forth the Bodhi mind,
and live the teachings for the rest of this life, then be born together in the Land of Ultimate Bliss.
You can also create a dedication in your own words for your loved ones or the departed; such as ” By the virtue of this meritorous act, may mother attain full enlightenment…” It’s results will follow the vastness of your intent.
佛教焚烧冥纸吗? Do Buddhists burn joss paper?
Joss paper burning for the ancestors is a traditional Chinese custom for fear that the deceased may not have enough provision in the other world. However, according to Buddhism, after the death of a person, one is reborn in one of the six realms: gods, (asura) demi-gods, humans, animals, ghosts and hell realm; depending on one’s karma created in the past. And this conditions what one is able to receive.
The Chinese placed importance to the virtue-filial piety and offering items such as joss paper provides the opportunity to make space and take time to remember the loved ones. With this context, burning a small quantity of joss paper for the deceased, express one’s thoughts with respect is acceptable as long as they are moderate, not wasteful, or bringing harm to the environment. However, the best practice to generate merit for the ancestors is through charitable deed, building a stupa, or make offerings to the Triple Gem.
Opening Hours of Columbarium during Qing Ming period
23 Mar to 14 Apr | 3月23日至4月14日
- 星期一至五 Mon to Fri: 7.30am – 4pm
- 星期六、日与公共假日 Sat / Sun / PH: 6am to 5pm
- 清明节正日（4月4日）Qing Ming Actual Day (4 April): 6am to 8pm
斋堂 Dining Hall
Vegetarian food for prayers is available for sale at Dining Hall.
Weekdays: 9am to 12.30pm
Weekends: 9am to 2pm
Wheelchairs are available at Venerable Hong Choon Memorial Hall, located under the white staircase facing the Buddhist College of Singapore.
- 急救志愿者将在周末高峰期间待命。如需帮助, 请联系值班团队。
First Aid Volunteers are on stand-by during peak weekends. Do approach on-duty team if you need assistance.
其他为先人修积功德做法有 Explore other favourable merit-making ways：
愿众生离苦得乐！ May All Beings be well & happy!
You might also be interested in..