Qing Ming Festival 清明节
Qing Ming is a traditional festival for the Chinese to remember and honour their ancestors by visiting their columbarium, graves or burial grounds.
As Buddhists, we can spend Qing Ming Festival recollecting the kindness of our forefathers and honouring them by remembering how they had lived a worthy life. In addition, we can also emulate the qualities of the noble ones who have come before us by observing their teachings.
Qing Ming – The Dedication of Merits to The Departed Puja 清明超度法会
Date 日期：5 Apr 2023 (Wed)
Venue 地点：Hall of No Form | 无相殿
Registration Categories 超荐牌位登记类别：
- Online Registration 线上报名: https://enets.kmspks.org/new/qingming （可登记$50与$100的荐牌）
- Front Office 寺务处 | 9am ~ 4pm （可登记$50、$100及$280的荐牌）
Enquiry 询问：6849 5333
* Uncollected prayer offerings will be donated to charity homes after event.
* Kindly note that the schedule is subject to change
KMSPKS would like to remind visitors:
Before Your Visit
- Bring only Vegetarian food, fruits, flowers for offering. No alcohol, meat products are allowed at the monastery.
- Have a mindful and greener Qing Ming. Burning less joss paper and reducing food wastage. No joss paper boxes are allowed to be burnt during this period.
- Ensure your offerings are looked after. Unattended offerings will be removed.
- Watch over lit candles and incense so as to prevent fire hazards.
- Please clear your offerings after prayers. If you wish to donate fruits, please place them in the designated bins provided.
- Please remove all plastic materials before burning items at the Eco-burner.
- 大众可用鲜花，素食和水果祭拜。 寺内禁止酒精及肉类食品。
What to do after a prayer or performing a positive act? 祭祀完毕后该做怎么？
It is said that when we engage in some form of spiritual practice, good deeds, we are accumulating merit. Buddhist practice conclude with dedicating the benefit of our wholesome act to relieving the suffering of sentient beings.
There are various phrases use for dedication, such as :
May the merits and virtues accrued from the work adorn the Buddha’s Pureland.
Repay the four kindness above and relieve the suffering of those in the Three Realms below.
May those who see and hear of this, bring forth the Bodhi mind,
and live the teachings for the rest of this life, then be born together in the Land of Ultimate Bliss.
You can also create a dedication in your own words for your loved ones or the departed; such as ” By the virtue of this meritorous act, may mother attain full enlightenment…” It’s results will follow the vastness of your intent.
Do Buddhists burn joss paper? 佛教焚烧冥纸吗?
Joss paper burning for the ancestors is a traditional Chinese custom for fear that the deceased may not have enough provision in the other world. However, according to Buddhism, after the death of a person, one is reborn in one of the six realms: gods, (asura) demi-gods, humans, animals, ghosts and hell realm; depending on one’s karma created in the past. And this conditions what one is able to receive.
The Chinese placed importance to the virtue-filial piety and offering items such as joss paper provides the opportunity to make space and take time to remember the loved ones. With this context, burning a small quantity of joss paper for the deceased, express one’s thoughts with respect is acceptable as long as they are moderate, not wasteful, or bringing harm to the environment. However, the best practice to generate merit for the ancestors is through charitable deed, building a stupa, or make offerings to the Triple Gem.
Opening Hours of Columbarium during Qing Ming period
25 Mar to 16 Apr | 3月25日至4月16日
- Mon to Fri 星期一至五: 7.30am – 4pm
- Sat / Sun / PH 星期六、日与公共假日: 6am to 5pm
- Qing Ming Actual Day (5 Apr) 清明节正日（4月5日）: 6am to 8pm
* Subject to prevailing government guidelines
Qing Ming Notice 清明节通告
- Vegetarian Mixed Rice 素杂菜饭
9am – 2pm | Dining Hall 斋堂
- Vegetarian Dumpling 普觉素粽
- Vegetarian food for prayers is available for sale at Dining Hall. 素食供品可于斋堂购买。
- Wheelchairs are available at Venerable Hong Choon Memorial Hall, located under the white staircase facing the Buddhist College of Singapore.
- First Aid Volunteers are on stand-by during peak weekends. Do approach on-duty team if you need assistance.
Explore other favourable merit-making ways 其他为先人修积功德做法有：
Offering to the Triple Gem 供养三宝
May All Beings be well & happy! 愿众生离苦得乐！
You might also be interested in..